Thursday, December 4, 2014

Examining Gender, Race and Body image in a Virtual World


In this in class exercise, I explored Second Life in different avatars.
I explored and teleported around various worlds in this avatar for a while.
While I was exploring I was able to chat/ socialize with different people/avatars.
I was surprise about how there were so many different people who actually meet through the virtual world. 
At first I was a white female. I went around some worlds and other avatars actually came up to me and started to chat.
I changed my avatar into a white male and I still had some conversation going on.
Lastly, I change my avatar to an african american female, and I did not get much feedback.
I am not sure whether it was the avatars or the different worlds I was in when chatting.
But the change in my avatar appearance seemed to have affected when I was socializing.



This is a screenshot of my avatar in the virtual world. There were some other avatars here.


I met an avatar and he started to chat with me. 
We did not chatting and I found out that he was from the Netherlands.


I teleported to another world where there were a lot of people. 
Tried mingling.


I changed my avatar into a white male and chatted some people.


Went to another world and used the mini map to navigate people.
This club had an active chat room.


I changed my avatar into a black female.
I tried chatting different people but I was ignored alot.


I tried editing the shape of my avatar.


Went to another world but was still ignored alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment